As a naturally occurring element, Fluoride helps to strengthen teeth and prevent tooth decay. It is naturally found in water in small amounts, as well as in some foods such as meat, eggs, tea and fish. Fluoride treatments are given to children who still have developing teeth at the end of their dental exam and cleaning, twice a year. Fluoride treatments in our Dental Office are given to children typically with varnish. Fluoride is the most effective agent available to help prevent tooth decay. With the use of bottled water more and more the need for children to have fluoride treatments to prevent tooth decay is more important than ever in preventing tooth decay in kids. in the area and knows that with kids brushing regularly sometimes it is not enough to help prevent decay. We may recommend the use of home and/or professional fluoride treatments for the following reasons:
- Deep pits and fissures on the chewing surfaces of teeth.
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces.
- Fair to poor oral hygiene habits.
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake.
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides.
- Inadequate saliva flow due to medical conditions, medical treatments or medications.
- Recent history of dental decay.
Remember, fluoride alone will not prevent tooth decay! It is important to brush at least twice a day, floss regularly, eat balanced meals, reduce sugary snacks, and visit your Pediatric Dentist on a regular basis.